The New Forest with its many tracks, quiet roads and easy terrain is suitable for riders of all tastes and abilities. This makes it both enjoyable and safe for families and younger riders.
Rides are arranged daily on an informal ad-hoc basis and details will be announced on the information board situated in the rally marque. A few regular participants will be on hand to lead rides, however, should you wish to lead a ride yourself or go off on your own, you are perfectly at liberty to do so.
To give you some idea of the event, here are a few popular features enjoyed at last years rally:
- Saturday: Morning ride to Lymington and evening AGM with cheese & wine!
- Sunday: Swimming pool sessions in the evening.
- Monday: Childrens time trial plus Velodrome cycling at Calshot Activites Centre
- Tuesday: Supervised swimming pool sessions in the evening.
- Tuesday: Adults evening time trial organised by the New Forest CC.
- Wednesday: Childrens activities and swimming pool sessions in the evening.
- Thursday: Childrens bicycle gymkhana and a trip to the Isle of Wight.
- Friday: The end of rally evening BBQ.
All riders must adhere to the Forestry Commissions 'New Forest Cycle Code' when cycling in the New Forest. A free online copy of the New Forest Cycle Code is available, hard copies are also available from the Forestry Commission, Tourist Information Offices and local outlets for a small charge. Parents must ensure their children abide by the New Forest bye-laws, which include not feeding the animals or disturbing other campers.
Most of the childrens activities run by Avon Tyrrell have to be booked in advance on a group basis. The rally registration form invites parents to indicate which activities their children would like to participate and if there is sufficient demand, we shall try to book sessions for you. We understand that it may be possible to use the swimming pool on an individual 'drop-in' basis rather than having to book for a group in advance. Use of the two multi use games areas (for 5-aside football, netball, tennis etc) is free of charge during daylight hours, but must be booked.
Note regarding Calshot Velodrome. To participate in the track cycling you must have a correctly fitting cycle helmet, cycling gloves and an under jersey (base layer) under a cycling jersey - The bikes are fitted with Look clip-less pedals and if needed, it is possible to hire these shoes at an additional cost. Parental consent will be required for anyone under 18 years of age. A consent form will be provided at the Rally.